Saturday 27 February 2010

Locus of control . . .

In fact one of the best assignments from last year was a 10-minute film with the student talking to camera about her life, and where she wanted to go, making reference to some of the theoretical tools that helped gain an insight into what she needed to do.



The above is what I'm trying to do but getting bogged down once again with the 'making reference to some of the theoretical tools' bit. The stuff I've done so far sound like some of my blog posts and while I'm ok with the fact here and there that I am going against some of the theories, I get worried that I'm not being explicit enough and end up adding a chunk of 5 minutes of theory to every single point!

What I'm trying to aim for is a 10 minute piece that articulates, my hopes, my fears, my strengths, my weaknesses, my prejudices and my beliefs. The fact that I recognise Goffman at work everywhere but I am uncomfortable with it as it does nothing to question the legitimacy of our structures and feels to me like deceiving, inveigling and obfuscating. The fact that I recognise that my attributions (weiner) have been mostly external and that I need to re-centre the locus of control with me and me alone. I also don't want to negate my experiences. I know for example that some things that I have experienced really have been entirely out of my control. The fact that I have become victim to a state of learned helplessness which masks my cognitive dissonance. The fact that I want my sense of awe, wonder, passion and intensity back.

That's what I want my 10 minute piece to be about.

I have the first 3 lines down and the very last line done - and I'm back at work tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.