Sunday 8 November 2009

Struggling

Assignment title : No idea as yet

2. My critical incident/s is…

not sure:

the end of free Hypercard?
the birth of Hypercard?
The rise of the religion called "IT" and its high priests

3. I chose this incident/s because… (list at least three reasons)

it led to artists and designers (and not just computer scientists) creating interactive content
it led to interactive content being created
Artists and designers created interactive content using language not couched in Science
It led to ideas and standard being created for interaction
It led to the development of people called MUltimedia Authors
It led to the acceptance of the idea of MULTI-media i.e. using content seamlessly across media types and industries
Ordinary people were the target audience
It created a genre of software that allowed for the creation of products and systems that challenged the relationship between the creator and the user
I wasted 25 years on it and wonder why
Don't know about any of the above

4. I’m going to use the following theory to help explore the incident/s

No idea?

5. These are some of the things I’m going to analyse in the assignment…

Not sure
The developments at Cern maybe?
the growth of content creation tools?
the (false?) idea that it democratises? gives power back? gives real choice?
That new technology which threatens established order and vested interest is quickly mutated and assimilated to make it harmless
That we are no happier
That we are even more enslaved and the technology has not freed us.

I'm reaching here

6. The incident has lead to the following change in current practice…

Not sure
It feels like we have gone backwards. Artists do the front end and developers do the back end stuff.
we see computers as tool again - not as extensions of self
I'm not even sure what current practice is any more

7. These changes are important to me personally because…

I feel stuck in a time warp
I'm puzzled as to why things have turned out this way
I constantly challenge people's blind use of technology, their fear, their acceptance of authority - and it gets me into trouble
I'd like to see a new Hypercard develop by some enterprising independent outfit.
The technology is far more capable than we ever get to use (or allowed to use)

8. In January I’m going to hand in…

No idea

9. These are the references I'll be drawing upon (books, reports etc)

Currently I have in front of me to read:

A brief history of the future: John Naughton
The media in britain: Jane Stokes
Multimedia & Hypertext: Jakob Nielsen
Understanding media: Marshall Mcluhan
Once you're lucky twice you're good: Sarah Lacy
Key themes in media History: Dan Laughey
Fractal Dreams: Jon Dovey
Multimedia: Richard Wise


I know these are quite old but I feel like I have a lot of catching up to do. For the past 10 years I have had to put my own practice on the back seat in order to spend 70 hours a week making lesson plans and schemes of work to differentiate between those that can read and those that can't but would like to be the next George Lucas. Reading the posts of other people on this course has really opened my eyes so I suppose that's a positive thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.